Susan G. Komen Memphis-MidSouth to award over $400,000 toward local community grants
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Elaine Hare
Susan G. Komen Memphis-MidSouth
Susan G. Komen Memphis-MidSouth to award over $400,000 toward local community grants for breast health services
$402,000 will be distributed among 10 hospitals and healthcare providers
MEMPHIS, TN – Wednesday, May 3, 2017 – On Thursday, May 4, 2017, the Memphis-MidSouth Affiliate of Susan G. Komen will announce its 2017-2018 Community Grant Recipients at their annual grant reception. The reception will be held at the Westin in Downtown Memphis beginning at 6 p.m. The Affiliate will be awarding 10 grants totaling $402,000 to programs that provide breast health and breast cancer services in the Mid-South.
(Please see the attachment for a list of Grantees and the services they provide.)
Since its inception in 1993, Susan G. Komen Memphis-MidSouth has provided almost $10.5 million to the 21 counties it serves in the Mid-South. These funds provide education, breast cancer screenings, and diagnostic and support services needed to detect and survive breast cancer.
Komen Memphis-MidSouth works with local health care professionals and community leaders to conduct a comprehensive community needs assessment. This community profile, a standard practice of all Komen Affiliates, is then used to establish a local grant application and review process consistent with the organization’s standards and mission.
Of the funds raised by the Affiliate, 75% stays here at home in the Mid-South. The remaining 25% funds ground breaking breast cancer research around the world.
“These Community Grants would not be possible without the support of dedicated donors, volunteers, friends and sponsors,” said Elaine Hare. “We reach thousands through our local grants and education programs; yet, when we look at the challenges still faced by women suffering from this disease we know much remains to be done.”
Susan G. Komen Memphis-MidSouth continues to be the local leader in the fight against breast cancer and remains steadfast in the promise Nancy G. Brinker made to her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, to end breast cancer forever.
2017 Susan G. Komen Community Health Care Grants
Alliance Charitable Foundation, for the Alliance Healthcare System, received $16,000 to provide breast exams and mammograms for underserved, uninsured and underinsured women.
Baptist Medical Group received $16,000 to provide breast exams, ultrasounds, biopsies and treatment as needed to underserved women with new breast symptoms or who have been identified for additional evaluation.
Baptist Memorial Hospital for Women received $104,000 to provide screening mammograms to underserved women and diagnostic procedures as needed through the Women’s Health Center.
Baptist Memorial Hospital – DeSoto received $48,000 to provide screening mammograms, diagnostic mammograms and ultrasounds to underserved women.
Church Health received $24,000 to provide medical screenings.
Methodist Healthcare Foundation received $40,000 to provide navigation and screening mammography to underserved women and diagnostic services as needed.
Regional One Health received $64,000 to provide screenings, mammograms, and diagnostic services for economically disadvantaged women.
STAARS (Surviving, Thriving, African Americans Rallying Support) received $7,000 to provide breast health education sessions and monthly breast cancer support group meetings for patients and survivors.
Urban Health Education and Support Services (UHESS) Carin’ and Sharin’ received $7,000 to provide education, support and awareness services to underserved women who are breast cancer patients and survivors.
West Institute for Cancer Research, funding West Cancer Center, received $76,000 to provide screening mammograms and diagnostic services to underserved women.
About Susan G. Komen ® and Komen Memphis-MidSouth
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Komen Memphis-MidSouth is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in the local community. Through events like the Race for the Cure®, Komen Memphis-MidSouth has raised and invested almost $10.5 million in community breast health programs in 21 counties in West Tennessee and North Mississippi and contributed over $3 million to research. For more information, call 901.757.8686 or visit komenmemphisms.org